4th of July has passed and we are in the sultry, warm days of the South Florida summer time. Soft fruits are ripe, so let’s take advantage of what comes naturally in peak season.
Below is a recipe for a peach pie made with a Pfeffersnaps crumb crust. I encourage adventurous Pfeffersnaps pfans to try this crust with other sweet and spicy recipes and report back! The sweetener is Old Fashioned Peach Jam from Scott’s Country Market in Zellwood, Florida. I LOVE making deep dish pies and making a meal out of all the goodness of the fruit, so that is what this recipe is for. The Bourbon Whipped Cream is a grown-up topper and is luscious with the peaches.
Yield: 8 to 10 servings
Pfeffersnaps Pie Crust
- 1 1/2 cups pulverized Pfeffersnaps (approximately 15)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/2 cup peach jam
- 8 ripe large peaches – do not peel
- 1/4 cup raw sugar (feel free to use whatever sugar remains in the bottom of a Pfeffersnaps bag!)
Bourbon Whipped Cream
- 1 pint heavy whipped cream
- 1/2 cup of powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon Bourbon (1/2 mini airplane bottle will do)
Recipe to Peach Pie with Pfeffersnaps Crust:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Pulverizing Pfeffersnaps in a food processor until 1 1/2 cups of crumbs are measured.
- Combine Pfeffersnaps crumbs, flour, and melted butter into a bowl and hand mix until well-blended.
- Press into lightly greased pie plate. Tip: If too dry and crumbly, add a tiny bit more melted butter.
- Bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes just until the crust is set. The color will be a deep chocolate brown.
- Spread the peach jam liberally over the warm Pfeffersnaps crust leaving a 1-inch border from the top for the fresh peach slices.
- Halve the peaches to remove the pit and cut into 1/2 inch, half-moon slices.
- Arrange the peaches to cover the preserves.
- Sprinkle the top with sugar.
Bake for 35-45 minutes until bubbling. Let cool on the counter top. This is the perfect time to whip up your Bourbon Whipped Cream Topper!
Recipe to Bourbon Whipped Cream Topper:
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and start to blend slowly with electric mixer. Increase speed until whipped cream forms peaks.
Plop your boozy whipped cream on top of each slice of still-warm-from-the-oven Pfeffersnaps Peach Pie and ENJOY!
*Pro Tip: Try your Pfavorite cheesecake recipe with a Pfeffersnaps Crumb Crust – just press crumb mixture into your springform pan instead of a pie plate.